1. Download Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet network card driver CD from http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/drivercd/esx40-net-bnx2x_400.1.48.107-1.0.4.html. Burn a CD from the file just downloaded.
2. Because the Perl script vihostupdate.pl is used for the installation, download vSphere client CLI from VMware site http://www.vmware.com/downloads/eula.do.
3. Install the vSphere client CLI which is a bundle of Active Perl and some admin tools on the administration PC. It is better to include the tools in the %PATH% before using the them.
4. Switch the host to the maintenance mode before the installation. Key in the following one by one from the console:
press alt+F1, type: unsupported, enter the root password. Run following command to switch to the maintenance mode.
Please note that enable ssh login is alternative way to run above command remotely.
5. After the host is in the maintenance mode, following command can be used to install the driver from vSphere client command line.
vihostupdate.pl --server 192.168.1.100 --install --bundle E:\offline-bundle\BCM-bnx2x-1.48.107.v40.2-offline_bundle-181332.zip
6. Reboot ESXi.